Gluten-Free Caramelized Leeks and Herb Stuffing RecipeRecipe by Chef Liz Alexanian, Cook LA
Gluten-Free for the holidays? Impossible you say? Think again. We had the opportunity to taste test a series of GF recipes developed by Chef Liz Alexanian of Cook LA using products from Udi’s Gluten Free and the flavors were amazing! This stuffing recipe is so flavorful and satisfying you would never know it was gluten-free unless somebody told you.
Udi’s recently held a recipe contest. The winner, Jackie Akhurst. was charged with whipping up a batch of Liz’s stuffing for us. This is so good! Thanks to Udi’s Gluten Free, Chef Liz Alexanian, Cook LA and thanks, too to Jackie for doing such a good job in the kitchen. I had the job of making an appetizer, but you’ll have to watch the video to see how I did!
Gluten-Free Stuffing Recipe: Caramelized Leeks and Herb Stuffing
• 6 cups Udi’s Whole Grain Bread, toasted until dry
• 1 pound Chorizo or Sweet Italian Sausage, casings removed
• 1 stick unsalted butter
• 3 tart (Granny Smith) apples peeled, cored, and chopped into bite size pieces
• 6 cups leeks, white parts only, sliced into ¼-inch to ½-inch rounds
• 2 cups celery, chopped into ½-inch pieces
• ¼ cup dried apricots, soaked in water and chopped
• ¼ cup dried black currants, soaked in water
• 4 teaspoons Knorr chicken bouillon (GF product)
• 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, roughly chopped
• 1 teaspoon fresh sage, roughly chopped
• 4 tablespoons garlic, minced
• 1 1/3 cup chicken stock
• Salt and White pepper to taste
• ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large pan, cook sausage until browned and crumbled.
Remove from pan, set aside, and drain grease with a paper towel.
In the same pan, melt the stick of butter and add the apples, celery, leeks, and poultry
Sauté until vegetables soften and start to brown, approximately 8-10 minutes.
Add the rosemary, sage, garlic, apricots, black currants, and cooked sausage, mix all
ingredients together well.
Break bread into bite-size pieces. Stir in the dried bread until combined.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour chicken stock over all to moisten.
Bake in a buttered casserole dish, covered, for 35 minutes.
Uncover and bake for another 15 minutes on the top rack of the oven to brown the